Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Passing on a Favorite

 This was a favorite shirt of mine for many years.  I actually got it at Old Navy, probably 10 years ago, on sale.  I loved the pin tucking down the front  and the white linen.  I'm a sucker for both.  However, after many years of washing, it just didn't seem to fit right.  It has held up rather well, just didn't look flattering on me anymore, plus it was rather short.  I could never bear to get rid of it though.  I've pulled it out of the give away pile more than once.  And so it sat, until I decided to give it a make over and turn it into a Spring dress for Clara.  Unfortunately, I didn't take a lot of pictures. 
Basically, I cut it in half to add the brown to give it a little more length.  I brought in the sides and remade the sleeves into little capped sleeves.  I left the collar alone, and while it seems a little big compared to the rest of the dress, it's perfect for buttoning all of the way up.
 The brown is actually 3 pieces, the back one that wraps all the way around to become the tie in the front and the 2 front ones that don't have the ribbon attached to them.  I added the ribbon for a little bit of color and 3 gathers (middle back and middle of each front piece) to make it fit a little better.

And here you have it, a linen shirt turned into a linen dress for a 3 year old, hence there are no pictures of her wearing it.  As soon as she gets it on, it looks wrinkled:)  It does look cute on her though, casual, yet refined.  Like I said, I love the look.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely. I always want to be a remake, which of course just means I'm a hoarder....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. It is super cute in person! I'm with Val. I have some many things I want to remake but...well time and skills keep me from doing it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...